Thursday, January 3, 2013

Tonight I Met Up With An Old Friend






Someone who I hadn’t spoken to in a few months. We did not stop communication due to any issues or faults; it was simply just because our lives had gone separate ways. She and I are very similar in many ways, one of which we both have old souls. 
I had discussed with her much of what has happened to me in the past few months. As I spoke about it more, and heard the words flow out my mouth so effortlessly, I realized something; once a person stops doing what’s easy, they will allow inspiration in. This happened to me for several reasons. I had discussed at Kumzits a little of what I had changed in my life and gave one reason why I had changed. I shared how I changed the way I dressed, and explained that I did this because I wanted to be a good role model for my junior NCSYers. I have more than just one reason, and more than just one change I have made in my life this year. 
This I did not speak about at Kumzits. When I spoke, I did mention that if I could just inspire one person, which would be enough for me, still applies now. I haven’t just changed the way I dress, but I’ve changed the way I eat, treat my body, and others around me. 
After speaking with my friend tonight I realized that the best things in life are the ones that are the hardest to do. Doing what your body wants just cause it’s easier, is what I had always done. I have not respected myself in the past, yet I still expected respect back from others. 
I see now that life is all about perception. You can’t expect others to respect you when you don’t respect yourself. I decided that from where I stood in these moments, my perception was wrong. In the past, I had lost my connection with Gd. I came to a point where I didn’t believe in a Gd. This shames me now, even just to think about.  How could I live life with such ignorance? Well, I did.
After being at the juniors’ first convention this year, as an advisor, something struck the inside of my soul.  I had to dress my part as an “advisor”, which meant I had to dress with modesty. At that convention I had a few struggles with some of the juniors, but I realized that they look up to me, even if it’s just for advice and guidance. They look up to me, because I show them they can. 
Life’s all about perception and the way you present yourself to others
As I sat there one night at the convention broken down, crying, and simply myself, I felt reconnected. I looked toward something myself for guidance, and that was Gd. After that moment, sitting alone, at my lowest, stripped of all my impurities, I said I needed to change. 
This I have never discussed with anyone, and I did not want to get emotional in front of an audience at Kumzits, so I gave a simpler version of why I changed. In Judaism, if you’re not growing, you’re falling behind. And in my eyes, if you’re not taking something out of a bad experience, you’re leaving something behind. Life’s not about using free will easily. You’re supposed to do what’s hard to do. 
I got Havdallah dedicated to me this past weekend at Conclave, and it was because I did what was hard for me. I changed myself, because I left out taking the easy steps. No one will be able to feel the emotions I had felt these past few months, but just hear me out. 
Life is more than doing what you want. Happiness comes when you do what’s hard. You won’t accomplish this until you experience it the hard way. It’s not easy to do good things and find happiness. But no one ever said it’s easy.

-Natasha Raizel Zucker

Contest Submission #8

4 comments:

  1. Woaah.. this is so moving Natasha. I feel your inner self pouring out here. I wanted to share something with you that I thought would build on your discussion about growth and working hard.
    Rabbi Tatz explains this...
    The word for test in Hebrew is nisayon, and rooted in the word nisayon is neis, which means miracle. What's the connection between a test and a miracle?
    A test is a challenge that you face and have to surmount in order to become something great. It faces you and is like the mountain you have to climb. When you climb that mountain you find out something deep inside that you didn't know you had. However there is a higher level of test and that is where miracle comes in. When a test is a mountain that is too high to climb, to steep to tred, then what is the Jewish approach? The Alter of Kelm taught: "Ask not whether it is possible, ask whether it is necessary." When there is a test in front of you that is impossible to climb, we take that step anyway. We try and challenge ourselves. Then, Hashem with His loving hand reaches out and carries you up that mountain that was impossible to climb and helps you climb it anyway. When you push yourself beyond your limits he carries you up. Then you have become an expression of miracle.
    Natasha, your post and the growth you've shown has brought me to think about this idea and to challenge myself to want to stretch beyond my limits like you have! thank you for inspiring me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually beautiful, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha, when Rabbi Greenland told your story at havdala there was not a soul in the room that wasn't moved and inspired. As you so aptly put it, and how Gershie rephrased it, happiness truly does only come from meeting the mountainous challenges that life throws our way head on and climbing them with the help of HaShem and reaching new heights.
    It's posts like this and stores like yours and Shayna's that truly make me proud to be a part of this amazing Midwest region of NCSY. HaShem should only bring you more success and may you continue to be a source of inspiration to us all.
    Thank you for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys for the comments.
    Gershie, that was very insightful, it really made me think. You just added on a whole new meaning to what I said.
    Sarah, thank you.
    And Shmuli, thank you. I'm so happy I could inspire you. That is all I wanted, to just inspire someone.

    ReplyDelete