Sunday, January 6, 2013

Shabbat Candles





Before NCSY I was spiritually and religiously misguided, but I set a path of discovering Judaism at my own pace. I opened my heart to Hashem and began saying the Modi Ani every morning and the S’hma every night. I felt myself at a roadblock, and I didn’t know what else to do; yet, I was eager to find a new step. On Conclave I solidified my next leg of my Jewish journey. It all started with my quest to have just one question answered. I wanted to find out what the significance of lighting Shabbat candles is. I wasn’t satisfied to get one answer: I wanted all possible answers out there in order to grasp my own meaning. I talked to Rabbis, advisors and peers on the Shabbaton and got the following answers:

1.The candles give off heat and light which can be used at the Friday Shabbat dinner when electricity can’t be used.
2. Lighting the candle is a choice we can use as power to get rid of evil. It is a nondestructive way of building that reminds us we are fixing Chaya’s destruction in the Garden of Eden. This light symbolizes good actions that build up the world with Tikun Olam. 
3.Women set the mood in the home. Light symbolizes peace, and when women light the candles it sets a peaceful tone for the day of rest. 
4.The oil and the candles represent potential, and when the candle is lit, one is creating something. A woman is naturally a creator biologically, so she gets to light the candle on Shabbat.
5.Lighting the candle on Shabbat separates Shabbat from the rest of the week because we can’t use electricity of light fire on Shabbat. Lighting the candle represents beginning the Sabbath, and putting out the candle on Havdala ends Shabbat.

These answers got me thinking and I found my own meaning for lighting Shabbat Candles. We all have our own flame of Hashem within us, and lighting the Shabbat candles remind me to keep the spark of Judaism alive that encompasses the significant meanings I listed above. 

This quest opened up many discussions about what I can do to further my progress on my journey. I am inspired to keep my own flame of Hashem alive within me just like a Shabbat Candle. It is my job to keep this spark of inspiration alive and add more goals to become a better person and a better Jew. On Conclave I was inspired by the light of Shabbos, and I discovered my new goal to light my own Shabbat candles.

Post by, Emma Lazar

Contest Submission #15


2 comments:

  1. Hi Emma, I loved this post. What I love about lighting Shabbat candles (I have been married for 5 years) is that the rest of the week might be hectic and what not but those minutes when I light the Shabbat candles are ALL MINE. It is my most focused time to communicate with God- to reflect on the past week, to share my hopes for the upcoming week, and to pray for myself, my family, and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is really meaningful. I would love to incorporate that into my future experiences with lighting Shabbat candles.

      Delete