Monday, January 7, 2013

Reflections from Conclave


When it comes to the NCSY family, and don’t get me wrong, we really are a family, I am relatively new. As an advisor, our job is to inspire you guys and play an active role in your growth as individuals.
Inspire. What an interesting word. I knew it would play a large role in this past weekend when I got to Conclave and it was written across the front of the sweatshirt. As an advisor, I wanted to be able to inspire you, the NCSYers, through my actions. My initial impression of who the “inspire” was directed to could not have been more wrong.
Based on my initial impressions from Fall convention, I thought that I knew what to expect at Conclave; then I arrived. From the first moment of “bingo” until the closing program, I was thoroughly engaged, and that was largely because of you, the NCSYers.
The moment that really stands out in my mind though was the kumzitz Sunday night. It was at this point that I really understood what the “inspire” was referring to. Listening to each of you talk and share yourselves with those sitting in the circle as Conclave “ebbed” away was inspiring to every single person sitting there. I realized that as much as I came to inspire each and every one of you, I think that all of YOU inspire ME to be a better person and push myself all that much more.
When things are easily attainable to someone, that person doesn’t necessarily appreciate them until they no longer have them or at least hear about situations and people that do not have the same circumstances and blessings. Listening to each of you share your struggles really gives perspective and inspiration to each and every person that may not have originally appreciated what they had, or people that are struggling with their own issues and just needed that little push. For this, I want to thank everyone that came to Conclave.
I can only hope that as an advisor I can inspire you in much the same way. I, and I believe I speak for all the advisors, am always willing to talk and listen to anything you might say. Thank you all for all your inspiration.
Sincerely,
Nachum Matten, Advisor

No comments:

Post a Comment