Sunday, December 23, 2012

Life Changing Moment



Having a Bar Mitzvah at the Wall in Israel is a life changing event because it helps increase understanding of one's heritage and Judaism. 
I had my Bar Mitzvah at the Wall in Israel, and it changed my life. I was able to have it in Israel, my homeland, and in the most holy place in world. It takes me back to the summer of 2012 on my trip to Israel with NCSY and JSU (two Jewish groups that I belong to). 
The trip was called TJJ (The Jerusalem Journey). This was the best summer of my life and I had lots of friends on my bus and in other programs in Israel too. I was fortunate enough to have my Rabbi, Rabbi Gershie, as the head of Bus 2 . There were nine buses filled with teens from all across the world and my bus had teens from all of the Midwest. While I knew the whole time that the time would come to have by Bar Mitzvah at the Wall, I slowly prepared with Rabbi Gershie for it. The more I prepared, the more nervous I got. The day came and I could not stop thinking about what was to take place in a few hours. My life would change forever!

One hour before my Bar Mitzvah my NCSY adviser, Michael Kahn, joined me from another program and brought two of my good friends with him, Ricardo and Joey. I ran up to them and gave them a hug and said “Thanks so much for coming.” They replied, “We would not miss it for the world.” Then unexpectedly I ran into NCSY’s National President from two years ago, Amanda Esraelilian. This was so much fun to see her because I have not seen her in a year. Unfortunately, she could not make it to my Bar Mitzvah because she was interning with the OU ( Orthodox Union). I also had another special treat. One of the greatest Rabbis that I know, Rabbi Nissel, came to the celebration with me. I knew at this time that soon I would be Bar Mitzvahed and was once again very nervous.

Everyone walked over to the Wall through the Old City. When we approached the Kotel I heard whispering others praying. At that point the only thing running through my head was this is really happening. As we approached the Wall, I eagerly started preparing for the day that changed my life. As I put on my Tefillin, with the help of Joey and Michael, I felt a feeling of belonging and also felt a welcoming as it was an opening to a new journey. The service started. I was clueless when I was going to go up but then I got the cue. I approached the altar and was sweating and nervous. We called my parents so they could hear me recite some of the Torah. This was the time. I grabbed the tzitzis from my side, pulled them up and touched them with my lips and placed them on the Torah. This was the moment that it all came down to. Then, from the place I touched with the tzitzis I recited the Torah after Rabbi Gershie, “Barchu et Hashem hamevorach (Bless G-d who is the Blessed).” When I finished reciting the Torah I pulled my Tallis over my head everyone threw candy. I smiled and I started to dance as I heard some music beginning to play. Then I danced around the Torah with my friends, This was the start of my new journey.


Post by, Lee Goodman


No comments:

Post a Comment