Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pray for Your Haters


I am part of a student group at college called Beat Therapy, which focuses on music therapy and music education. With a few other members, I went a few days ago to a local public school and played rhythm games with the students there. We had a blast, the music they created was incredible, the discussions were enlightening, but something above all else left a lasting impression on me. One of the students was wearing a sweatshirt with words on it. The words were: Pray for your Haters. I was really taken aback by this; what does that even mean? Then I started pondering it and realized how unbelievable it was that those words were on a sweatshirt.

The message just floored me: instead of doing harm or even wishing harm on your "enemies," pray for them.  Instead of increasing the negative emotions in this world, bring positivity to everything you do. I've thought about it for days. In every situation, we have more opportunities to bring good into this world than we can count. We have endless chances every day to bring good into this world- to bring Gd into this world in a very real way.

So, pray for your haters. Don't wish for something bad to happen; pray that something good will happen, pray that Gd will help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment